Could natural farming carrots taste so gentle and pure?

I thought wild growth form of vegetables are mostly bold and pungent and have really wild quality, but this year we got good carrot growing in what is generally considered poor red clay soil, yet the flavor is so gentle and pure and mild. We eat it raw, cooked and sauteed, but all feels so different from regular store bought carrot.

Perhaps the variety of carrot has something to do too. Oxheart carrot from Seeds of Change.
http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_center/product_details.aspx?item_no=S10919

Soil amendment I used was old leaf/wood branch compost. I shouldn't even call it compost because USDA NOP organic rule specifies that compost has to have c:n ratio between 25:1 and 40:1 and has to be cooked at a temp between 131F and 170F for 15 days and turned at least 5 times.
C:N ratio is really high, by calculation probably around 60:1 or higher. I think it's more like 100:1. and why carrot still grow so well? I don't know. I don't grow vegetables by scientific theory.

My hypothesis is that it is the surface area of these leaf and branch materials are small compared to shredded and ground up stuff. so they don't have to break down as fast to demand so much nitrogen to cause nitrogen deficiency.

Also when the soil is in high c:n ratio, the soil is really low bacterial activity level which inevitably shifts the system to fungal cycle. which means fungi break down the high C stuff while feeding the plants with necessary nutrients similar to mycorrhizal fungi.

Here is a link to a product from fungi perfecti. Although I didn't use this, it gives you an idea of how it works. I generally assume that there is already enough spore in the soil or leaf mix that I add to the soil.
http://fungi.com/mycogrow/index.html

Most gardening books say carrots need good loamy soil. Our carrots are growing in really heavy clay soil, and perhaps that is why our carrots look round like kabu or turnip.

Carrot leaves are also very light green as if there is not enough nitrogen. This is typical look of natural farming vegetables. Healthy soil feeds the plants, not human with fertilizers and compost.

I sometimes still think about NPK and compost C:N ratio and stuff, and it always confuse me for what I do, but as long as it works....

Forgot picture. Perhaps next time if I remember.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Green tea infused sake and avocado sashimi

Tea, Pests, Disease and Pesticides, Hidden truth of unknown cause.

Red Bean Bread - anko remix