Waiting for the sun to come back before it's too late

Beside my truck is stuck in the muddy driveway, I have chayote cut up and salted and need to be dried before I can pickle it.  Somehow electric food dehydrator or oven don't do the same.  It needs to be in the sun for a good few days.

It is conventional knowledge to use the sun to dry vegetables for pickles.  They preserve better and have better flavor.  Plus no electricity needed.

I remember my grandmother drying some pickling melons on a bamboo tray until it's really soft.  Sometimes when we don't get enough sun shine, they start to get moldy.  Drying also prevents mold and removes excess moisture out of pickling vegetables.  What can I do? 

I'll just use oven or go to Kona and just leave it on the back of truck if I can get the truck out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Green tea infused sake and avocado sashimi

Red Bean Bread - anko remix

Tea, Pests, Disease and Pesticides, Hidden truth of unknown cause.